The rental agreement is displayed below. Please review the terms. The Fairfax City Self Storage team are happy to review this and answer any of your questions.
LATE CHARGES: $10.00 after the 10th of the month or 10 days from the due date.
RETURNED CHECK CHARGE $20.00 CASH OR CASHIERS CHECK REQUIRED WHEN VACATING.
NO RENT REFUNDS
ALL CHARGES MUST BE PAID BEFORE VACATING THE STORAGE SPACE IN CASH OR CERTIFIED FUNDS
ALL RENT DUE THE 1ST OF THE MONTH, UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED ON YOUR CONTRACT.
LATE CHARGES WILL BE ASSESSED AND ACCESS DENIED IF RENT IS NOT PAID BY THE 10TH OF THE MONTH OR 10 DAYS AFTER THE DUE DATE.
MOVE-OUTS AFTER THE LAST DAY OF THE MONTH (PAID THRU DATE) WILL BE PRO-RATED THRU THE 10TH OF THE FOLLOWING MONTH OR 10 DAYS FROM THE DUE DATE.
MOVE-OUTS AFTER THE 10TH OF THE MONTH OR 10 DAYS FROM THE DUE DATE PAY A FULL MONTH’S RENT. CASH OR CERTIFIED FUNDS REQUIRED ON ALL MOVE OUTS.
VIRGINIA LAW STATES IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE OCCUPANT TO MAINTAIN A CURRENT ADDRESS AND ANY CHANGE OF ADDRESS MUST BE REPORTED IN WRITING TO OWNER.
OWNER CARRIES NO INSURANCE COVERING OCCUPANT’S GOODS AND ASSUMES NO LIABILITY FOR SAME.
ACCESS CODE MUST BE USED FOR EACH VEHICLE ENTERING FACILITY. REPAIR CHARGE FOR A BROKEN ACCESS ARM IS DETERMINED BY EXTENT OF DAMAGE.
OWNER HAS A LIEN ON GOODS FOR PAYMENT OF FEES DUE AND MAY SELL OR OTHERWISE DISPOSE OF SAME WITH PROPER NOTICE.
EACH UNIT IS ALARMED. IF WE RECEIVE A FALSE ALARM THAT PERTAINS TO YOUR UNIT, YOU AS AN INDIVIDUAL MAY RESULT IN A FINE OR DISCONNECTION OF YOUR ALARM.
1. RENTAL OF SPACE: In consideration of the covenants and conditions contained in this agreement, FAIRFAX CITY SELF STORAGE (hereinafter referred to as OWNER) rents the Occupant whose name appears above (hereinafter referred to as Occupant) storage space at the self-service storage facility at the above described Site. Owner is not in the warehouse business, nor in the business of storing goods for hire. Under no circumstances shall OWNER be deemed to be bailes or other type of custodian. Owner’s employees have been forbidden from providing any service on behalf of OWNER.
2. RENT: Occupant shall pay OWNER, in advance, and without demand, on the first day of each month, the RENT for that month at the Site in lawful money of the United States. Occupant agrees to pay the Late Charge for Rent received at the Site after 5pm on the 10th day of the month (or 10 days from the due date) from which it is due. Notwithstanding the above, Owner may accept correctly drawn checks for payment of Rent. If a check is returned uncollected, payments represented by it shall be considered delinquent on the date originally due and shall be subject to Returned Check Charge. Owner may increase the rent by notifying Occupant in writing at least 30 days prior to the first day of the month for which the increased Rent is due. Occupant may pay the increased Rent from the date it becomes effective. An Occupant unwilling to pay the increased Rent may terminate this Rental Agreement as provided in paragraph 5 PERIOD OF OCCUPANCY.
3. NOTICE: ALL ARTICLES STORED UNDER THE TERMS OF THIS RENTAL AGREEMENT WILL BE SOLD OR OTHERWISE DISPOSED OF IF NO PAYMENT HAS BEEN COLLECTED FOR A CONTINUOUS 60 DAY PERIOD.
4. Occupant acknowledges contents will not exceed $5,000. If contents exceed $5,000, occupant must furnish owner certificate of insurance.
OCCUPANT HAS READ THE FOREGOING RENTAL AGREEMENT, INCLUDING THE TERMS ON THE REVERSE SIDE HEREOF, OCCUPANT HAS RECEIVED A FULLY COMPLETED AND SIGNED COPY OF THIS RENTAL AGREEMENT.
5. PERIOD OF OCCUPANCY: The period of occupancy created by this Rental Agreement shall begin as of the date of this Rental Agreement and shall continue from month to month. Except for a possible partial calendar month to the last day of that calendar month. Occupancy shall run from the first day of each calendar month. Occupant or OWNER may terminate the Occupancy created by this Rental Agreement by delivering written notice to the other party of its intention to do so at least 7 days prior to the last of the calendar month in which Occupancy will terminate. Any property left in the Storage Space after the date for which Occupant has given notice to terminate will be deemed abandoned by the Occupant. After said date, Owner may remove any lock from the Storage Space and dispose of the contents thereof without notice or liability to the occupant. OWNER shall give notice to any lien holder with an interest in the property to be disposed of, or whom owner has knowledge of either through the disclosure provisions on the Rental Agreement or through finding a validly filed Financing Statement, as provided by law. OWNER may also terminate this Rental Agreement by any means provided by law.
6. RESPONSIBILTY FOR OCCUPANT’S POSSESSIONS: OWNER shall have no liability for damage or loss caused by heat, cold, theft, vandalism, fire, water, winds, dust, rain, explosion, rodents, insects or any other cause whatsoever. OWNER carries no insurance covering a loss to Occupant’s possessions. Occupant shall maintain a policy of fire and extended coverage insurance with theft, vandalism, and malicious mischief endorsements to the extent of 100% of the replacement value of the property in the Storage Space. To the extent Occupant does not maintain such insurance, Occupant agrees to self-insure to the same extent as such a policy would have provided. OWNER shall NOT be liable to Occupant or Occupant’s invitees for personal injury or damage to personal property caused by any act of negligence of any person on said premises. Occupant hereby agrees to indemnify and hold harmless OWNER from any and all claims for damages to property or personal injury and costs including attorney’s fees arising from Occupant’s use of the premises. Owner shall not be deemed to either expressly or impliedly provide any security protection to Occupant’s property maintained at the Site. Any security devices which OWNER may maintain at the Site are for the OWNER’s convenience only. Owner may discontinue their use in whole or part at any time without notice to Occupant.
7. PERFORMANCE DEPOSIT: Occupant has paid the Performance Deposit. The Performance Deposit, without interest, shall be returned within 30 days after the Termination of Occupancy, if payment of all sums owing is received, if the Storage Space is surrendered broom clean, damage free & office has been notified in writing of intent to vacate. Performance Deposits may be commingled by OWNER with funds in its general account. OWNER may at its option, deduct from the Performance Deposit any unpaid charges, damages or Rent due without notice to Occupant. Should the total deductions exceed the amount of the Performance Deposit, Occupant shall pay OWNER the amount of such excess.
8. USE OF STORAGE SPACE: The storage space shall not be used for any unlawful purposes and will be kept in good condition. Occupant shall not use such Space to store any flammable, combustible, explosive, corrosive, odorous, perishable, noxious, or other inherently dangerous materials. OCCUPANTS SHALL NOT USE THE STORAGE SPACE FOR RESIDENTIAL PURPOSES. OCCUPANT SHALL NOT USE THE STORAGE SPACE FOR ACTIVE STORAGE, I.E. MANUFACTURE, FABRICATION OR MAINTENANCE. OCCUPANT WARRANTS THAT ALL ITEMS PLACED BY OCCUPANT IN THE STORAGE SPACE SHALL BE OCCUPANT’S OWN PROPERTY OR PROPERTY TO WHICH HE HAS HIS LOCK AND KEY. OCCUPANT MAY PLACE ONLY ONE LOCK ON THE STORAGE AND HEREBY AUTHORIZES OWNER TO REMOVE ANY ADDITIONAL LOCKS BY CUTTING OR SAWING THE SAME FROM THE LATCHING DEVICE ON SUCH STORAGE SPACE. Occupant shall not place any personal property or material outside storage space. Any personal property material found outside the storage space may be conclusively presumed to be abandoned and may be disposed of by OWNER without liability of OWNER to Occupant. Occupant shall not make any alterations to the space or facility, nor post any signs without express written consent of the OWNER.
9. RIGHT TO ENTER, INSPECT, REPAIR: Upon the request of OWNER, its agents or employees, Occupant shall provide access to OWNER, its agents or employees, to the leased space for the purpose of inspection, repair, alteration, or improvement. OWNER RESERVES THE RIGHT TO TRANSFER THE CONTENTS OF THE LEASED SPACE TO ANOTHER SPACE IN FACILITY IN CASE OF EMERGENCY WITHOUT NOTICE TO OCCUPANT. For the purpose of this paragraph, the term emergency means any sudden, unexpected occurrence or circumstance, which demands immediate action.
10. DELIVERY OF NOTICE: Occupant’s address shall be conclusively presumed to be the address provided by the Occupant in this Rental Agreement unless Occupant provides OWNER with a subsequent written notice of a change of address. All notices required or permitted by this Rental Agreement shall be presumed delivered when either delivered in person or deposited with United States Postal Service properly addressed with postage prepaid except as otherwise provided by law.
11. DEFAULT BY OCCUPANT: Time is of the essence in the performance of obligations created by this Rental Agreement. Failure of the Occupant to perform in a timely manner any obligation or duty set forth in this Rental Agreement shall constitute Default and OWNER may proceed to do any or all of the following:
a. Provide written notice of the default and the OWNER’S claim to the Occupant to any lien holder with an interest in the property of whom OWNER has knowledge either through disclosure provisions in this Rental Agreement or through finding a validly filed financial statement and to the sheriff or the county in which the Site is located. Such notice shall include an itemized statement of OWNER’s claim, a brief and general description of the personal property subject to OWNER’s lien, notification of denial of access to the personal property, a demand for payment and a statement that unless the claim is paid within the time stated, the personal property will be sold or otherwise disposed of, as provided by law.
b. Deny Occupant access to the personal property.
c. Terminate Occupant’s right to the possession of the Storage Space by any lawful means.
d. Take appropriate action to enforce OWNER’s lien as is provided by law
12. RECOVERY OF ATTORNEY’S FEES AND COSTS: In the event any action must be instituted or other proceedings taken to enforce any term, covenant or condition or to recover any rent or charge due or to recover possession of the space or facility for any default or breach of this Rental Agreement by Occupant, Occupant agrees to and shall pay OWNER reasonable attorney’s fees, costs and expenses in connection herewith.
13. RECOVERY OF ALL WARRANTIES: The agents and employees of OWNER are not authorized to make warranties about the space, premises and facility referred to in this agreement. OWNER’s agents and employees ORAL STATEMENTS DO NOT CONSTITUTE WARRANTIES, and shall not be relied upon by the Occupant, nor shall any of said statements be considered part of this agreement. The entire agreement and understanding of the parties hereto is embodied in this writing and NO OTHER WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILTY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE and all warranties, expressed or implied ARE EXECUTED from this transaction and shall not apply to the leased space, premises, and facility referred to herein. It is further understood and agreed that Occupants have been given an opportunity to inspect and has inspected the space, premises and facility and that Occupant accepts such leased space, premises and facility AS IS and WITH ALL FAULTS.
a. If any portion of this Rental Agreement for any reason is declared invalid such a decision shall not affect the validity of any remaining portion of the Rental Agreement.
b. All the provisions hereof shall apply to bind and obligate the heirs, personal representatives, successors, assigns, agents and representatives of parties hereto.
c. The provisions of this Rental Agreement and the rights of the parties hereto shall be construed in accordance with applicable laws of the State of Virginia, including, but not limited to, provisions relating to Self-Service Storage Facility Liens. Virginia Self Storage Act 55-416 through 55-423.
d. No waiver by OWNER, its agents, representatives or employees, of any branch or default in the performance of any covenant, condition or term contained herein shall constitute a waiver of any subsequent breach or default in the performance of the same or any other covenant, condition or term hereof.
e. No subletting of the Occupant’s Storage Space or any portion thereof or assignment of the Rental Agreement by Occupant is permitted.
f. The heading of the various provisions of the Rental Agreement have been included only for the convenience of the parties and are not to be used in ascertaining the intentions of the parties.
g. This Rental Agreement is the only agreement of the parties and supersedes any prior written or oral agreement. No amendment or alteration shall be binding unless in writing signed by both parties.