Paintings passed down through generations, classic book collections, or valuable sculptures you purchase at an auction are not easy to part with, even if for a limited period of time. Whether you’re downsizing or traveling overseas, these items can be safely preserved in a storage unit for as little or as long as you need.
Learning how to properly store art in a storage unit can help you maintain the value of these possessions. Not only will you be able to enjoy them for longer, but you’ll also be able to receive a higher offer if you decide to sell them.
If you’re considering storing art for the short or long term, you’ll want to make sure that you choose a climate controlled facility. Canvas and books are especially sensitive to sudden changes in temperature and humidity. When exposed to changing conditions, art pieces will either tighten or stretch before eventually cracking or flaking.
How To Wrap Paintings For Storage
Storing paintings can pose specific challenges, but there are many wrapping strategies and tips to keep them clean and in great condition. Here are three:
- Be generous with padding. Use plenty of high-quality bubble wrap to provide cushioning and ensure added stability. You also want to avoid stacking or having the pieces lean against each other, as well as laying them flat on the floor, which could lead to accidents.
- Prevent dust and grime from settling on canvas art prints by using light cloths. Old sheets will also do the trick as long as your paintings are fully covered.
- Mirror boxes offer double the cardboard protection. Protect your frame artwork from any type of damage with these flat, bi-folded boxes that are affordable and easy to use.
Climate Controlled Storage Units
At Fairfax City Self Storage, we offer climate controlled storage units designed to protect your possessions from the elements and fluctuating temperatures. These units have a temperature between 60-75 degrees, which is the sweet spot to properly store artwork.
Someone is always available to monitor the conditions and ensure these units are heated when it’s cold outside or cooled when temperatures are climbing. This way, your paintings maintain longevity in perfectly balanced conditions, no matter what happens outside.
Our units range in size from 4x4x4 (the size of a locker) to 10×15 (big enough to fit the items accumulated in a two-to-three-bedroom apartment) and we also provide non-climate controlled units for other, less delicate items.
Choose from drive up storage units, ground level units, and second floor units. You can also enjoy the convenience provided by features such as:
- Elevators in every building to make storing heavy pieces a breeze.
- Complementary hand-carts, as well as moving and packing supplies.
- 24-hour security and 24/7 keypad gate access via a central entry and exit point.
- Free moving truck usage with every unit you rent.
- Well-lighted surroundings and auto LED lighting in every building and loading area.
Understanding how to store art starts by educating yourself on the types of storage units and wrapping methods, as well as choosing the best facility for your needs.
Contact Us Today
Do you have questions about choosing the right storage unit size? Contact us today or give us a call at (703) 978-1200 to find the best solution for your needs and budget.