If your linen closet can’t possibly accommodate another thick comforter or chunky blanket, if you’re downsizing or going into a decluttering frenzy, a storage unit can be the ideal solution.
It’s not enough to find a new home for your excess items; you also need to learn how to store bedding to ensure your blankets, comforters, and pillows remain intact and odor-free over time.
Read on for tried-and-true methods and budget-friendly materials to help you complete this task:
- First clean, then store. If you’re wondering how to store bed sheets, these items should be fully washed beforehand, since this type of bedding tends to accumulate dust, skin cells, and oil. In addition to cleaning it, make sure to also dry it thoroughly. The last thing you want is to have bedding contaminated with mold and mildew. Comforters, on the other hand, might only need a vigorous shake to be storage-ready. It’s important to clean and air out mattresses using a vacuum and an upholstery cleaner.
- Choose your material. Vacuum bags are ideal for voluminous items and will also keep pests and odors away. If you own bedding made of natural fibers, a cedar-lined wooden chest will act as an insect repellant. Synthetic and polyester-filled items blankets hold up well in plastic lidded bins, buy cardboard moving boxes will get the job done too. The key is to line them with heavy-duty garbage bags and packing paper.
- Preserve that fresh smell. Opt for cedar chips instead of mothballs, as the latter can leave a lingering unpleasant scent. For long-lasting freshness, place dryer sheets between folded bedding or try a DIY odor absorber made of baking soda and a few drops of essential oil. Place the mixture in a mason jar, perforate its lid a few times and put it inside the storage unit, close to the bedding.
- Arrange smart. Stack pillows and cushions together by folding them, after removing all cases. Take out the comforter covers too. Use a pillowcase to conveniently pack your sheet sets.
- Choose temperature-controlled storage units. This will ensure your belongings remain undamaged by extreme temperature fluctuations. At Fairfax City Self Storage, we offer temperature-controlled storage units that maintain a healthy level of humidity regardless of temperature fluctuations. We also provide traditional storage units, both for short-term and long-term need use for drive-up, ground level, or second-floor access.
Smart Storage Units
As our customers, you benefit from more than just extra space. We safeguard your belongings with enhanced 24-hour security and 24/7 keypad gate access via a central entry and exit point. And we also offer a free moving truck for every rented unit. Other features include:
- Elevators for heavy items.
- Auto LED lighting in every building and loading area.
- Complementary hand-carts
- Moving and packing supplies
Contact Us Today
At Fairfax City Self Storage, we strive to provide superior storage conditions for your items, no matter their size.
From art and shoes to motorcycles and cars, your belongings can find a new home within our location.
If you have questions about unit sizes, contact us today or give us a call at (703) 978-1200. Our team will help you find the best solution for your needs and budget.