The holidays are a special time to relax and enjoy the company of family and friends. For those of us hosting parties or simply looking for a bit of Christmas, Kwanzaa, or Hanukah cheer, decorations can be a big part of the holiday season. However, we also dread when we have to put our items back into storage, which can be a time and labor-intensive process.
Fairfax City Self Storage wants to make holiday storage easier. We have developed a list of how to properly store Christmas decorations, and recommend that you keep your lights, wreaths, ornaments, wrapping paper and other holiday items in one of our temperature-controlled self storage units for safekeeping.
There are multiple examples of why storing seasonal décor in a storage unit can be beneficial:
- You want extra space at home.
- You are moving to a new home and want to keep your decorations nearby.
- You are a servicemember being deployed.
- You want to be more efficient with your holiday storage when the season is over.
At Fairfax, we provide clean, secure options for holiday storage so your Christmas treasures remain in great condition until you need them again the following year. Let’s take a look at how to store decorations in a storage unit, along with some tips for staying organized.
How to Store Holiday Decorations
Our customers often ask us how to store seasonal decorations. Many times, ornaments can break or holiday linens become tarnished or dirty when stored improperly.
Here are a few ideas for protecting your items when you return them to storage after the holiday season:
- Inspect and Clean – When little ones are running through the house with holiday spirit, or after a Christmas party with friends, cloth and linen items can be soiled. Prior to placing these pieces back into storage, it’s best to clean your decorations with non-toxic solutions. Spot clean fabrics and use hot water on linens. Then, consider air drying and ironing cloth to keep it pristine.
- Pack Carefully and with Study Materials – Flimsy boxes or storage bins can crack or rip, causing damage to your seasonal décor. Choose sturdy packaging, especially with plastic storage. Fragile items can be separated by packaging dividers, foam packaging cushion, and more. Make sure to pack carefully and don’t force items into full containers, as ornaments and other sensitive decorations can easily break.
- Untangle the Lights – We know it can be a hassle to properly store messy light strands that have knots. However, untangling your holiday lights and storing them with a straightforward solution can save you frustration in the following year. There are many ways to keep light strands free of tangles, including using coat hangers, cardboard (box sides or rolls), a cord holder, and other solutions.
- Mark Your Boxes and Bins – Organization can make or break your holiday storage process. Marking your boxes and bins with detailed descriptions is critical to remember for proper organization. For example, mark “fragile” on any containers that may contain breakable items and be specific with labeling, such as “oak tree lights” or “front porch wreath.”
A few pro tips to remember when considering how to store seasonal decorations:
- Always place fragile items on top of sturdy materials or away from possessions that could cause damage.
- Dismantle large decorations and safely place the pieces into storage bins or boxes.
- Repair or discard broken decorations to avoid damage or injury.
Contact Us Today
Fairfax City Self Storage proudly provides accessible and safe storage units to customers with holiday decorations of all types. We have more than 30 years of experience serving the Fairfax area and are conveniently located near the beltway. Our state-of-the-art storage facility offers 24/7 access and security so you know your items are protected. We even have storage supplies available to make it easier when it’s time to put your decorations away for the season.