If you are a long-time gamer, there is a good chance you have amassed a collection over the years. Maybe you can’t part with that old PlayStation 2, you have no more shelf space for disks, or you just haven’t touched the Nintendo Switch since you got that Xbox Series X. Sometimes, these collections take up too much of our living space. Thankfully, there is no need to get rid of these valuable items when Fairfax City Self Storage offers a safe and trusted storage option.
Here are some instances where video game storage might be necessary:
- You are moving to a new home or apartment.
- You are renovating your home and want to avoid damages.
- You are looking to free up space.
Whether you’re in need of temporary or long-term video game storage, Fairfax City Self Storage is the perfect solution for keeping your collection safe. We have put together a list of tips to successfully and safely store your video game collection.
The first step to storing any of these items is to make sure they are clean. Removing any dust before storage is crucial to avoiding damage. Items can be cleaned with a soft rag or, for deep cleaning, a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol. Do not use a wet rag as this could potentially cause water damage. It should be noted that the eradication of dust is especially important for consoles and cartridges. For consoles, you may want to use a small vacuum cleaner to ensure that it is dust-free.
How to Store Video Games, Consoles, Cartridges and Controllers
Video game collections are often emotionally and financially valuable. Therefore, it is important to make sure everything is stored correctly. The more care that is taken, the longer these items will remain functional. Here are some tips to prepare items for a storage period.
- Consoles: Knowing how to store video game consoles correctly is essential as they are often the most valuable items in a collection. For your consoles, you may want to invest in a dust cover. The original packaging itself can also work as a dust cover to protect the console. Place all cables, untangled, in labeled plastic containers.
- Disks: The best way to store disks is to place them in their original cases. If these are not available to you, disk sleeves are a good option to prevent scratching. Binders with sleeves are great for storing many games in one place.
- Cartridges: Storing classic game cartridges can be tricky. These are easily damaged and should be stored with care. Cartridges should be stored in airtight plastic storage cases to protect the cartridge from dust and corrosion.
- Controllers: Place controllers in a plastic bin with an airtight lid. To further protect the controller, wrap it in plastic before long-term storage. For any cables, make sure they are untangled before placing them in the bin to prevent damage.
Over time, there is a chance that these items can rust or fade. This can be avoided by regularly cleaning them. Ideally, returning to your collection and cleaning your items every six months helps fight against corrosion.
Use a Temperature-Controlled Storage Unit
The elements are the greatest threat to your gaming collection. Extreme heat, cold, or humidity can damage consoles, cartridges, and controllers. Therefore, you should look for a temperature-controlled self-storage unit in order to ensure the protection of your items.
Contact Us Today
Fairfax City Self Storage provides you with a storage option that is safe, accessible, and clean. We have 30 years of experience offering quality storage solutions in Fairfax, Virginia. Conveniently located off the beltway, our facility is available 24-hours a day, 365 days a year.
Contact us to secure your storage unit today, or call (703) 978-1200 for more information.